Sunday 11 November 2007

My summer holiday in Merlo, San Luis

From April to November I have been writing about different topics. The year is coming to an end and I have never written about my summer holiday when I was between two and nine years old.Every summer, during my childhood, I went with my parents to the village of Merlo, province of San Luis. I remember when my mother prepared the luggage full of clothes. It was just as if we were moving) for three months.My mother´s family had a big house in Merlo, it belonged to my grandparents, but unfortunately, it was sold four years ago, so that is the reason because I have never been there again.My cousins and I used to go swiming in the swimming pool and of course in the river,which is near the house.In the afternoon we rode the quatricycle and went horseriding, and every evening we went shopping handicrafts. It was really exciting and I spent all my pocket money buying rings and wristlets.At night, there was an amazing and colourful carousel where I went with my eldest cousins. They laughed a lot each time I tried to get the ring, because to have it meant afree pass for the next turn. They always said I was just an octopus, stretching my arms.My head is filled with stories and I am happy with so much travelling. I can´ t forget when my aunts, uncles, and parents were sitting around the barbecue preparing a calendar of excursions for that year. The best was to visit a natural cave in La Falda, province of Córdoba, which is a touristic place with lots of interesting activities to do all sorts of actionWe went by car, we didn´ t know a lot of really what we were going to do there, but when we arrived, a man, gave us some clothes. While we were dressing up as miners, with overalls, helmets and torches, he told us about the history of that stranded cave. That area had been a lime pit and an explosion allowed the discovery of the first of the four mouths of the cave that people use as entrance. Its interior is a maze of many narrow passages. I felt like a mole in the darkness. It was fantasticAnd a bit dangerous. Wasn´ t it?We got out when we felt that we couldn´ t climb, go up and down , and crawl any more, and once we were out we realized that we had been underground for nearly three hours, lost in the underworld, that allowed me to go through a totally different experience to what I had known up to then.
Sara

4 comments:

Nora said...

I have also been to Merlo with my parents when I was a child and it's an experience I'll never forget. It's a great place and, when I went long ago, it was still unspoiled. I do not know how it looks like nowadays that many people have discovered it.
Your experience in the mine is fanstastic! I wish I had the oportunity to go myself.

Anonymous said...

It is an extraordinary description .I have never visited Merlo, but I know it is a wonderful place to spend holidays.I am very pleased with your work, keep it up!

Delfina y Agustina said...

Hi, we have never visited Merlo too but the things that we read are extraordinary! It's a good experience to visit new places...
All the best

Agus and Delfi

viki_pili said...

Hi!! As Delfina and Agustina we have never visited Merlo, but now that we have already read what you wrote, we want to go!
see you later,
Victoria and Pilar.